Sunday, May 3, 2009

God is not Burger King

Today I realized how wrong I've been for praying what I've been praying. "I want a church home, God. One with good worship. One where Mr. Theophilus and I can use our gifts. With a good Kid's program. Here, not somewhere else. And I'd like it now."

I forgot that God isn't Burger King--you can't special order your life, and it doesn't arrive in less than five minutes.

We went to church at the Mother Church of the Donut Church today. Every time we go, the message is spot on, and our kids end up being the last ones in Kid's Church because we've gone up for prayer. Once again it was right on--you know it's a God thing when someone you don't know points to exactly what the issues are.

They're starting a series on 1 Peter. The message today focused on how to pray in adversity, how to not be tossed around by your circumstances. The answer was to pray NOT for the answer you've generated, but to pray for wisdom and the fruits of the spirit (love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, gentleness, and self control) using Scripture itself.

That's my root problem--I'm so focused on our circumstances that I've forgotten the relationship.

There are millions of Christians around the world who don't have church homes, who not only don't have a home, but live in fear of persecution.

Again, it's not about me. If I get my eyes off me and my circumstances and focus on God, everything will fall into place...church home or not.

1 comment:

  1. We have been praying for a church home for over 2 years and trust me we know the feeling. Be encouraged today and know that you are not alone. God is faithful and lead you to the right place in His timing. Thanks for sharing your journey with us.

    ReplyDelete